Thursday 8 September 2016

Derailment

I haven’t blogged for a few days. There’s a reason for this: I suffered a derailment and I couldn’t muster the enthusiasm or brain power to blog about it. Until now.

There was also an element of shame, I suppose. After feeling big headed for doing so well I suddenly felt ashamed of myself and following a rather large (binge) consumption of refined sugar, I felt a bit depressed and down. I was nervous I wouldn’t be able to get back on track. And I probably wouldn’t have got back on track, if I hadn’t weighed myself yesterday morning.

When you have a few evenings in a row (I was quite good during the days, and I went running) where you break your diet; eat the wrong things and way too much of them, or scoff vast quantities of not-too-bad-for-you snacks which still pushes you over your calorie limit, you will perhaps feel like you’ll never get back on track. But you can.

My willpower, sticking power, whatever you want to call it, has never been steadfast. I change my mind, a lot – I think it’s hereditary. I will do this, I won’t do this, I can’t do this, I want to do this... It sometimes feels like my will and my body (Id, and Super Ego?) are at war with each other; tugging on each end of the rope until I fall one way or another. I have always been a bit prone to binge eating and it doesn’t take a lot for me to fall from the tightrope of a diet. But after I weighed myself yesterday morning and found out that the damage wasn’t that bad after all, I managed to climb back on the tightrope, or get my train back on its rails, and carry on with renewed willpower.

There are eighteen days left of my eight weeks. One of those days is my husband’s birthday so there might be a day where some cake is consumed… But I will do my best to stay on track until the end.

We all encounter set-backs, in everything we do. We have to learn how to pick ourselves up from these set-backs; to get back on track. Doing the 8-Week Blood Sugar Diet is a great teacher of this.

No comments:

Post a Comment