Monday 26 September 2016

Week Nine. Day One.

Yesterday saw the end of my 8-week Blood Sugar Diet. If I’m honest, I probably only to stuck to 800 calories-a-day limit for maybe half of the eight weeks, which would realistically leave me with another four weeks to complete.

It was hard to stick to the calorie limit every day; I struggled and failed many times, although some days I did very well. These were the days I tended to be busy – usually Mondays and Tuesdays. By the end of each week I was usually diet-fatigued and willing to indulge with my family while we watched films and relaxed together. I admit, I still haven’t gotten over my habit of emotional eating neither have I broken the ‘weekend feast’ habit!

Despite this, I have lost 12lbs overall. I look leaner and I feel so much better. My enthusiasm for running has returned and my mileage over the last four weeks has sky-rocketed! This is an amazing accomplishment considering that before I started this diet, when I really should have been running every day because I was eating so much, I was always reluctant to go and rarely did.

So, I have lost 12lbs. Nearly the stone I set out to lose. Although I’m a bit disappointed I didn’t stick to the diet a little better and lose the whole stone I wanted to, I am still amazed at how much I’ve lost. Over the last four years I have fought to lose about 5lbs and then have put it back on again almost immediately.

This morning though, the diet came to an official end. The eight weeks – which seemed like such a long time at the beginning – have abruptly finished leaving me with a sense of emptiness when I woke up this morning and realised I could legitimately eat whatever I want for breakfast – toast, cereal, crumpets – anything! So what did I do? My willpower kicked in and I reached for a protein shake and decided to keep going! That’s right – you heard me! I am continuing with the Blood Sugar Diet, by my own free will.

Now, in my last blog post I know I said I was carrying this diet on for another week, and I am. But I could have eaten anything I wanted for breakfast this morning, because technically, the diet is over. So I was pleased with myself for not reaching for the toast and Nutella (yay me!).

I mentioned I have lost 12lbs overall, my mum has lost 13lbs overall. We have both done extremely well and I’m proud of us both. Our exercise levels have risen from sedentary to active, and I think we are both feeling the benefits of this.

I, for one, feel excited about continuing this diet for a little longer. I am excited to switch over to the 5:2 diet at some stage. I also think I will give this blood sugar diet a whirl for four weeks following Christmas, after all, I am not a robot and I will not be able to resist all those treats that come hand-in-hand with Christmas…


 

No comments:

Post a Comment