Thursday 18 August 2016

All the Better for a Frozen Berry Bowl

Everyone needs a go-to breakfast that’s quicker than boiling the kettle. Something you don’t even have to think about. Something you can make with your eyes closed while you’re still half asleep. And it has to be tasty. It has to be so tasty you look forward to eating it.

For me, that something used to be toast with an unhealthy spread (chocolate spread was a favourite) or sugary cereal. I could make it with my eyes closed and I didn’t even have to think about what I was doing.

Whilst on the 8-week blood sugar diet that has had to change. I can no longer have toast or cereal in the mornings and the suggested breakfasts of eggs and shakes can be a bit time consuming (and produce more washing up than I would like!). This is how I fell into the ‘frozen berry bowl’.

We always have a large tub of Greek yogurt in the fridge. And recently I’ve had frozen berries in the freezer. The perfect breakfast for me at the moment is two tablespoons of yogurt with about 100g of frozen berries – blueberries and raspberries are the favoured ones at the moment. I also add a small handful of flaked almonds – about 5g. This comes to around 200 calories - perfect. 

Once the berries have started to defrost a little (about five minutes) I mix my bowl of yogurt and berries together. The cold berries turn the yogurt into a kind of ice cream and the result is honest-to-god amazing. It tastes too good to be a breakfast and I am literally salivating whilst writing this; I can’t until morning.


So there you have it. My go-to breakfast. My frozen berry bowl. If you make only one change in your life, try swapping your morning toast or cereal to a ‘frozen berry bowl’. I promise you, it will not disappoint!    





  

No comments:

Post a Comment