Tuesday 16 August 2016

On Any Given Tuesday


There is an element of empowerment in calorie counting.

If you ask any one of your friends or colleagues how many calories they have consumed today, I bet most of them wouldn’t have a clue. Some of them might hazard a guess. And a one or two may not even know what a calorie is.

On any given Tuesday before I embarked on this 8-week diet, I would not have been able to tell you how many calories I had consumed (food and drink) in the last 24 hours. And to be honest, I would have been scared to know the truth. 

Some days I imagine I was eating in excess of 3000 calories, and on occasion I imagine even more than that. Sometimes I would find that my dinner actually got in the way of my snacking ("Oh, I can't have that biscuit now as it's not long until dinner; I'll eat it after dinner" is how my thought process went). Or, that I was squeezing my dinner in even though I wasn't hungry as a result from all my snacking. Sometimes I would find that the nice things I was eating (M&Ms, Malteasers, whole tubs of ice cream) stopped tasting nice because I ate them so frequently. I would then resent the food I was eating for being bad for me and not tasting nice any more, and I would resent myself for not being able to stop eating it! Vicious circle.  

Today I am on day sixteen of my Blood Sugar Diet. I have started to appreciate the natural flavours of foods a little more. The sweetness in natural berries is enough for me. I really look forward to meal times and enjoy every mouthful - not snacking in between meals allows me to enjoy my meals even more.  

So, if you asked me how many calories I have consumed today, I can tell you I have eaten a grand total of 840 calories. I don’t feel hungry. I don’t feel tired (well a bit but only because it’s late). I don’t feel grumpy. I actually feel great. I feel more energetic and just generally better all over.

On any given Tuesday, anyone can take on the 8-Week Blood Sugar Diet and WIN. Just like me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment