Sunday 14 August 2016

Sunday (Run Day) Round-Up

It’s Sunday. The last day of my second week on the Blood Sugar Diet. For fourteen days I have tried very hard to stick to an 800 calorie-a-day diet, avoiding breads, pasta, pastries, rice and potatoes and filling up on protein and low-carbohydrate vegetables with plenty of fibre. I’ve had the odd sweet or a taste of ice cream whilst dishing some out for the children but I have stuck to the diet as best I could.

On only one day did my calories stray over 1000 – and that was only just (1045). That was on Wednesday of this week, and for that I blamed the popcorn. Most days I have stayed just below 800, but a few I have gone over. Overall, I should be aiming to eat 5600 calories in a week (I think I have eaten more than this in one day before now – when I realised this I actually cringed). In my first week I hit the target nearly spot on and lost 6lbs. In my second week (the week just gone) I was about 200 calories over the weekly target, which I will still blame on the popcorn. However, this week I have completed two short runs, only five miles in total but it’s something. So I’m excited to see how much weight I have lost when I weigh myself tomorrow morning.

I’ve had a good day. I have eaten well although only two meals, and 100g of strawberries (30 calories – amazing!). Who knew strawberries tasted so good on their own? With the addition of sugar, cream or ice cream (or Chambord – my mother-in-law’s favourite addition!). I also managed a run this morning and although it was short and slow, I felt great. I came back buzzing and enjoyed the sun for the rest of the day in the garden. Pure bliss.

And, you may ask, how is my mum doing? The reason I’m even doing this diet in the first place. Mum is doing great too. She has fallen into a bit of a pattern with her meals which is making it easier for her to keep track of her calories, and it makes meal times quicker and easier. She has tried lots of different dinner recipes which are suggested in the book and most of them, if not all of them, she loves.

We are both finding that smaller portions are now filling us up. I am also finding that sweetened things (like ice cream – I licked the spoon earlier) are too sweet. Drinking fizzy water with ice is my new treat and I can’t wait to have frozen berries and Greek yogurt for breakfast the way I once couldn’t wait for toast or cereal (I love both of those things).

So things are getting easier. And what do you know? We’re two weeks in already! There’s only six weeks left to go. We’re halfway to being halfway. And what a great feeling that is.


Let’s hope when I weigh myself in the morning it’s good news. But even if I’ve put on a pound, or stayed the same, I won’t be disappointed because I feel healthier and just generally better for embarking on this challenge.    

No comments:

Post a Comment