Monday 22 August 2016

The Many Different Shades of Disappointment

Disappointment, I have come to realise, can affect you in either a positive way or a negative way. Depending on how you choose to view it, I suppose. It can come in many different shades; from a mild dissatisfaction to outright disillusionment, frustration and regret.

Last week, for me, was peppered with disappointments. I’m talking strictly about my 800-calorie-a-day Blood Sugar Diet here, not about the Rio Olympics British gold medals nor my husband’s attempts at helping with the housework.

Below I will list, individually, last week’s disappointments:

  • I failed to stick to my daily calorie limit for six out of seven days
  • I missed two runs
  • I ate seven yogurt covered rice cakes (I love these – but they are not allowed until my eight weeks are up)
  • Instead of drinking one small 185ml bottle of red wine (126 calories) with my steak on Saturday night (a treat while my husband was away), I drank a whole 750ml bottle (514 calories) and woke up the following morning with a terrible headache
  • I didn’t lose any weight at all. Not even a single pound.   

Combine these disappointments with the fear and panic that I will give up on the diet after straying from it, leaving mum all on her own, and you have a recipe for self-flagellation and destructive thoughts.


However, there are two sides to every story (someone once told me there are four sides to every story, but that’s another story). For every single one of my pessimistic bullets points above, there is a small glimmer of optimism just waiting to be caught:

  • My daily calorie count stayed below 1500 on every day except one (the wine day)
  • Since missing two runs I now can’t wait to get my runners on tonight and attempt a four mile jog along the beach (renewed enthusiasm) and I did manage to get out three times this week, which is more than the previous week
  • Even though I snacked on rice cakes, I managed to stay out of the biscuit tin (previously unheard of). I also steered clear of crisps and ice cream (hurrah)
  • Renewed realisation that two large glasses of wine are ok, I should have probably stopped there and next time I hope I will (fingers crossed…)
  • I didn’t gain any weight – I stayed the same. 

So there we have it. I have listed my week of diet disappointments and turned each of them around into something I should be pleased with.

I will stick to the 800 calorie limit every day this week to make up for my ills and to give mum my full dieting support. At the end of this week we’ll have hit the halfway mark, something that seemed impossible on day one. So, let’s keep this up and see how we get on.


Weight Loss Summary for Week Three:

This week I lost: 0lb
In total I have lost: 7lb

This week Mum Lost: 1lb
In total Mum has lost: 7lb

Combined Weight Loss Overall: 14lb

   

No comments:

Post a Comment